kale

kale
The overwintered kale is sprouting!

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Throwback Thursday - Tomato Love!

The mild weather this week has sparked a bit of spring fever in me and I can't stop thinking about getting out and doing some gardening! So I did. Yesterday, it was 12 C and sunny, so I wandered out to the veggie patch to check on my structures, tighten up the mini tunnels, harvest some parsley and so on. I may have accidentally scratched a bit more spinach seed into the thawed soil under one of the hoop tunnels. And picked some carrots. And generally tidied up branches and other winter debris. It felt fabulous! Anyone else taking advantage of the winter thaw to get some garden work done? 

Anyway, the warm weather has also got me thinking about summer.. specifically tomatoes and I'm pondering which varieties to grow this year. (any suggestions?) I've got my standards (Sungold, Cherokee Purple, Costoluto, Persimmon, Big Rainbow), but would love to hear some thoughts from you as I'm planning my seed orders. I thought it would be fun to do a Throwback Thursday post with some tomatoes from the 2012 season.. I had a lot of fun photographing these little beauties and comparing their sizes, colours and shapes. Enjoy! 

Yellow Pear versus Sungold 
Dwarf Roma vs Yellow Pear vs Sungold

Yellow Pear vs Red Pear vs Sungold vs Ladybug

Yellow Pear vs Black Cherry vs Ladybug

Dwarf Roma vs Black Cherry vs Yellow Pear

8 comments:

  1. I have grown black cherry tomatoes for the past 2 years. I have never been a big cherry tomato fan but these ones convinced me. Great in everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dale!! Black Cherry are great.. try Sungold if you never have grown them. They are a hybrid, not heirloom (and the only hybrid I grow), but they are fabulous!!

      Delete
  2. HI Niki,What climate zone are you in? I am in Northern Minnesota, in Zone 3. The recent "polar vortex meant that we had several consecutive weeks with lows of -20 to -30 F and highs of -15 to 0 F. I can't believe it is possible to garden through that kind of winter.
    Thans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leo.. brr!! I have a garden writer friend in your neck of the woods - Amy from Get Busy Gardening.. she's fab! I'm in zone 5b, so I'm a bit warmer than you. That said, you can certainly use all of the season extenders I use to stretch your season. You may not get all the same veggies to go year round, but you'll extend your harvest by weeks and months, depending on the crop. The hardiest veggies and herbs that you might want to try in a cold frame are kale, scallions, spinach, mache, claytonia, thyme and parsley. We didn't the 'polar vortex', but the week before that, our temp's were in the -20 to -25 F (-30 C) range and all my cold frame and mini hoop tunnel crops fared just fine. Thanks for your comment!!

      Delete
  3. Wow Leo, and I thought New England was cold! I live on Maine's coast, at zone 5b. I'd also be interested in knowing your climate zone, Niki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie, I've been to Maine many times - gorgeous state! I'm in the same zone as you.. zone 5b, so you should be able to do pretty much the same stuff as me. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm in similar mood - itching to get outside and gardening! Here in the UK the ground is 100% saturated and most places are flooded. I am making use of plastic cloches and mini-greenhouses to keep a few things relatively dry. Re tomato varieties: my favourites are "Ferline" (big, red, very resistant to blight) and "Maskotka" (red, large cherry, very prolific). Congrats on the success of your book BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark! Geeze.. I've been thinking about UK gardeners.. I hope the waters recede soon. Such a challenging winter everywhere it seems! And thanks for the tomato suggestions.. I'm going to see if I can find a source for these right now!! Good luck drying out!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments. I welcome your tips, questions, thoughts and ideas (and suggestions for new veggies to grow!)